If the developer is having fun, so will the player.

• 7 Replies

Brutal Audino

• Skills
      Game Developing, Composing, Designer and Artist
    • View Profile
If the developer is having fun, so will the player.
« on: January 12, 2016, 12:22:09 AM »
I'm making a game called SEGA Forum Fighters, for the SEGA Forum. It's an RPG that takes a silly site and gives it importance, lore and conflict while also joking around with it's quirks at times. This project... is difficult to develop. When you have someone in charge of a huge game for a small audience, and that person is the only one working on it, procrastination and abandoned ideas and builds along with extreme delay (The game started in 2014) are bound to happen. But... is all of that so bad?

Procrastination leads to lack of confidence or energy, which leads to doing what you want. If you put the creativity you created through preference in your game, you're making your game more and more expansive! Secrets, easter eggs, music, miscellaneous stuff that seems unnecessary; it all leads up to good stuff!

Now, I'm not saying that you should do this. Eventually you'll have to continue progressing through the main development. Just, don't be so hard on yourself when this happens.
  ;D

Tulloch

• Administrator
    • Skills
      Programmer, Designer, Artist, Composer, Director
    • View Profile
    • TullochCo
  • Project: The Adventures of Comik
Re: If the developer is having fun, so will the player.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:39:20 AM »
Beautiful!  :over_joyed:

I couldn't agree more! Building a game is like building a house. You need a sturdy structure, but at some point you want to hang up some pictures and decorations to make it feel homey so you feel comfortable and well-rested when you return to work on that main structure!
You're still progressing on your game, but sometimes you need to see it in a different light or take a break and avoid getting burnt on on the same tedious thing!

Thanks Brutal Audino!

Brutal Audino

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:19 AM »
Beautiful!  :over_joyed:

I couldn't agree more! Building a game is like building a house. You need a sturdy structure, but at some point you want to hang up some pictures and decorations to make it feel homey so you feel comfortable and well-rested when you return to work on that main structure!
You're still progressing on your game, but sometimes you need to see it in a different light or take a break and avoid getting burnt on on the same tedious thing!

Thanks Brutal Audino!
No problem!

Tulloch

• Administrator
    • Skills
    • View Profile
    • TullochCo
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
I'd love to see more about your Sega Forum Game, perhaps a back story on your development would inspire other developers!

I actually had a very similar idea several years ago. I thought it would be fun as a Super Smash Bros. clone, but I realized the amount of work that would have gone into making the huge selection of Sega members and balancing their abilities to be ridiculous, and if I left anyone out it would have been the demise of the game. Then I considered allowing the users to make their own characters and set their abilities and have the weaknesses created as a result. Then they would upload their character to a database that the game would read from. I realized this was all too big to be anything but a dream. I began working on a platformer with "SegaBot" as the protagonist fighting against spam and saving members. It would have been easier, but unfortunately it was one of those projects I simply lost interest in.

I'm really happy to hear someone has a similar idea, and from the looks of it it's going to be an awesome game. If you post some of your ideas, plans, goals and what inspired you in it's own thread, I think you'll get some interested folks! Maybe grow a crew to help you out!

Brutal Audino

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 05:22:12 PM »
Okay... I'm currently working on the soundtrack, as it will be like 80% original. I'm making a major boss that uses elemental abilities but I don't know how to make it more interesting than "elemental attacks that hurt a lot or hurt everyone". The game focuses a lot on strategy, each party member has an obvious pro yet they need teamwork in order to hide their glaring cons. (such as supportive characters and elemental backups along with a powerhouse character to release the charged blast of supportive skills + strong attack). Equipment does not show age after time, instead what you put on your character is up to your strategic thinking such as badges that sacrifices attack power for infinite HP. Not only that, but all characters stick with their skill set and gimmicks for the whole game, save for some story mandatory ones. Unfortunately, I'm restricted to very cheap battle graphics such as re-using the overworld sprite as the in-battle graphic. Things are alright, but the game will end up very lacking in terms of graphics and consistency.

I need a monster designer, graphic artist, battle sprite artist and perhaps another composer. A 2nd game designer to help me design the strategic battle aspect of the game would be great, especially for boss fights.

Brutal Audino

• Skills
    • View Profile

Tulloch

• Administrator
    • Skills
    • View Profile
    • TullochCo
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »
Awesome! Sounds like you know what you're doing. Maybe you could help me beta test a new collaboration feature of the site I'm working on soon!

Christian

• Global Moderator
    • Skills
      Sandwhich Artist
    • View Profile
    • AddE Online
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
i like the part you said "Procrastination leads to lack of confidence or energy" because procrastination leads to lack of confidence or energy

Links

TullochCo.com