Vee's Dumping Grounds (music, graphic design, 3D, all of it)

• 19 Replies

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
      Musician, character designer, writer, voice actor, limited 3D modeler, and limited 2D animator.
    • View Profile
Vee's Dumping Grounds (music, graphic design, 3D, all of it)
« on: January 13, 2016, 08:31:35 PM »
Might as well start a place to show off my various skills since I kinda work here now. First up, a study I did for shadows, reflection, and diffusion using no textures whatsoever. All of the shaders used were either specially modified Toon or Cooktorr ones that are standard in Blender 2.76. All of the shapes used in the model were made using the material function without a texture. The roughness on them is achieved through diffusion and specular settings. The only reflective surfaces are on the windows, with 85% transparency and 18% reflection, and the roof, which has 15% reflection.

As it stands right now, I'm able to do full models of just about everything aside from trees. The leaves perplex me and leave me infuriated. Pun not intended. And while I do know how to do texturing, I mostly avoid it in Blender because it's very difficult and time-consuming to unwrap an create textures for the faces compared to other 3D software.

My plans for the near future are to learn how to rig models for animation. The tools in Blender aren't really friendly to do such a thing, especially for facial animations.
I may not remember who assassinated President Kennedy, but I can list off pretty much every engine you could get in a 1969 Dodge Dart.

Tulloch

• Administrator
    • Skills
      Programmer, Designer, Artist, Composer, Director
    • View Profile
    • TullochCo
  • Project: The Adventures of Comik
Re: Vee's Dumping Grounds (music, graphic design, 3D, all of it)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
My, aren't you a Jack of all trades, Vee! Wonderful work!

Architecture renders are my weakness, in a chocolate kind of way. I could waste an entire afternoon finding inspiration in them. I specifically love angles and symmetry and you've included both, so I can't help but love what you've done.

Trees are definitely on the opposite side of the spectrum. As with any naturally formed object, there is both the sense of randomness and design. Too much of one attribute will make the difference between making an artistic sculpture or making an alien plant.

I love modeling plants/trees, perhaps one day I'll make a conceptual work-flow tutorial to show my technique (or madness, it's perspective). My weakness is rocks, as silly as it sounds.

Thanks for sharing! I hope we can see more!

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
      Musician, character designer, writer, voice actor, limited 3D modeler, and limited 2D animator.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
A long long time ago I took solace in drawing inanimate objects. Cars, planes, watches, buildings... It wasn't really until I was about sixteen that I actually started drawing people regularly. As such my understanding of architecture is quite a bit beyond my understanding of anatomy. If my computer didn't chug down I could easily spend a week making an entire city with each building have a unique visual style.
I may not remember who assassinated President Kennedy, but I can list off pretty much every engine you could get in a 1969 Dodge Dart.

Tulloch

• Administrator
    • Skills
      Programmer, Designer, Artist, Composer, Director
    • View Profile
    • TullochCo
  • Project: The Adventures of Comik
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 01:18:08 AM »
That would be some quick production. I imagine it would be street view or a horizon versus a "helicopter view"?

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:23:18 AM »
Normally I just move along and change the camera as I go. I've gotten into the habit of always having my left-hand fingers on the NumPad. As for making anything that big I usually have a sketch sitting on my other monitor to go off of for general dimensions and such, and I adjust the size as needed. Thanks to the fact that I normally use a system where everything's scaled using the same measurements I can simply import a model, delete the parts I won't use, and scale the pieces I will use accordingly before I hide them. It's a bit more cumbersome due to the fact that I have to sort through all the files to get pieces I want, but it keeps Blender from having odd errors because of memory constraints. For some reason Blender works better when importing new models rather than creating multiple models at the same time, and even using the Hide function doesn't help.

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 12:06:55 AM »
Ah, Blender. Blender, Blender, Blender. Recently I've been working about, creating some things for a test in Blender's recently added (and then updated) in-program game engine for a simple technical demo. A tour of a small area, in a way. However I'm running into a few problems... For one is an issue with Blender not liking to render what I create. I get all sorts of odd errors where objects look like they have static or scan lines on them like this:

But only when in Render mode. When I view it in Object mode using View As Render instead it looks almost normal aside from the regular viewpoint errors Blender always has for transparent objects:

Another issue I'm having (and I know I sound like an idiot when it comes to this, but I've only been using Blender since October) is that I don't know exactly how to view my particle effects once I apply them. I'm working in a single frame in the timeline, and I would like to see the flames I've applied near the light sources, but I have no idea how. I've heard people say something about a "bake" option before, but I've never been able to find it.
And don't worry. The next article's coming up. I'm just working on something a little extra for it.

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 05:41:28 AM »
Alright, so here's something that's been stuck to the grimy interior walls of one of my hard drives for a while now. I've been meaning to go ahead and wait until I've learned some new techniques to add another section to it that would make it almost four minutes long, but at this point that's going to be a long ways away. I normally equalize and use a limiter and compressor on my stuff to prevent the music from getting too loud, but I haven't really done anything of the sort to this since it's still unfinished. So be wary of volume and the like when listening.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/675729

Second up, I've sort of streamlined my method for creating buildings in 3D space. My next goal is to figure out how to properly use Blender Game Engine to create a small "game" that lets you explore an island that's a part of another one of my projects. Hopefully that project will one day have its own game.

ReddTheFox

• Administrator
    • Skills
      3D modeler extraordinaire, Can't Grow a beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 09:10:06 AM »
noice dood!  :comik_amazement:
DERP!

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 11:34:02 PM »
Throwing in another work here. Might do some other stuff with this new saxophone VST I picked up. God I love this thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z2d7yt4sf0hs3d/LucidWhimsicalToy.mp3?dl=0

ReddTheFox

• Administrator
    • Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 11:50:59 PM »
whoooooooaaaaaa
DERP!

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 01:29:39 AM »
By the way, you know what's happening with the main site? I keep getting that stupid "Warning: require_once(/home3/tulloch/public blah blah blah" error from where one of the plugins for admin privileges imploded and Tul ain't sayin' anything about it.

ReddTheFox

• Administrator
    • Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »
I dunno man, but I do know that hes got alot going on in his life right now, so hes probably gonna be silent for awhile
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:07:56 AM by ReddTheFox »
DERP!

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 06:26:19 AM »
Oh wow. This place is lookin' pretty spiffy with the new fixes.

Anyways, here's some more work. I've been messing around with trying to learn texturing properly instead of half-assing it and selecting "Generated" instead of properly mapping out the UVs for textures. Also been learning how to use Blender's Cycles Render to get some high-end reflections and shadows running. Problems come about when I try to render it. Apparently Blender won't let you render in Cycles using a graphics card until a future update, so it's all CPU only for now. That means instead of two hour renders, it turns into seventy hours if you like to use 4096 samples like I do. So I cut it down to 64 for this example, which explains the noise.

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 03:52:22 AM »
Learning more about texturing using Blender's rather weird system. After learning how to properly unwrap and setup UVs, I've moved on to specular and normal maps. The second image was made using a single texture layered twice, with the top layer being mostly transparent. Normal and bump mapping are seriously fun to mess with considering Blender gives you almost unlimited control compared to Maya or Mudbox. I'm also messing with learning how to do stuff with physics in the Game Engine, but it's so backwards that it's stopped even me. Hopefully I can figure it out so that I don't have to go about converting and adjusting things for Unity. Also, don't mind the speed of the first image. When I converted it it somehow went from a twenty second clip to a ten second one.

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 07:59:59 AM »
Working on learning how to make games in Blender. The basic NPC model is done (her name's Telly) but isn't rigged, and I still have to work on the environment that the player will walk around in and interact with. It's going well so far, but I've had a fair bit of issues. This isn't supposed to be anything big, just a "look around and listen to the funny things the stressed out elf woman says" kind of experiment game. Basically just a testing ground for building a playable area with things to do, like water physics and playing with light switches.

Things I still have to do:

◙ Rig Telly (duh)
◙ Animate Telly ('nother duh)
◙ Build the mansion interior and the estate grounds the player explores
◙ Create menus
◙ Add in music
◙Add Textures
◙ Create entirely new shaders for the characters (some environment shaders too)

ReddTheFox

• Administrator
    • Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »
whoa dood that's pretty coooool. I'm working on modeling n rigging a character myself right now! Luv ur style, reminds me of windwaker.
DERP!

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »
Yeah, everyone I've shown it to has said that. As I said before, the shaders aren't finished so the look's going to change. Mostly I'll be getting rid of the black outlines and going with a more soft-cel method, so it won't be radically different. It's mostly because of the late evening lighting that will be in the tech demo. I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the black outlines work with low lighting like that, even though it looks fine when you're inside and in a brighter environment.

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one that absolutely abhors the guessing game that is weight painting. It's like throwing darts in the dark with your toes.

ReddTheFox

• Administrator
    • Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 10:35:17 AM »
yeah man, the 3dsmax equivalent is also pretty hit n miss
DERP!

VulpesHilarianus

• Skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 12:05:56 PM »
I'm not in a sugar coma, I swear! I've just been focusing more on improving my skills instead of fuffing about. Gotten quite a bit done recently, and have been pushing myself so hard that it's getting me sick from lack of sleep and proper nutrition. Surviving a week with six hours of sleep and just a bottle of Pepsi a day isn't doing me any favours.

First up is music!

This first one is a song that goes to something I'm currently working on, called ForestDance. Pretty low and slow, and has a jazzy feel to it:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/686242

The second one is called Spelunking, and was supposed to be part of six or so songs to go into a demo I was working on with somebody that fell through. It's pretty open and ambient, which is exactly what was needed because this was supposed to play in the underground areas:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/686242

Alright! Done with the music, now onto the 2D work! Wait, I don't have any? You're kidding. No, wait. Just got a memo from upstairs. It's not in a presentable state. Sorry folks!

Fine then, onto the 3D work! Hooray! This is the stuff I've been working on the most. Right now I'm doing bits of architecture here and there, trying to ease up the workflow for doing UV map unwrapping. It still takes a while, but it's not as bad as it used to be considering I've found out how to manipulate the UVs by hand now.

First up in the 3D category is a three-story house I'm working on to go into the demo I talked about last time. The goal was to use as few faces as I could, and if possible, as few pieces. As it stands, windows aside there's only three pieces in the entire model. The exterior, roof, and awning (with soft-body physics):

Next up is a little test, just to see what exactly I can get away with when texturing. Here we have a boat, a barrel, and a tree. The boat's textures were made using three separate materials, each with one texture and normal map. The barrel was made using a single texture that was copied over and over again with no normal map. And the tree was made using three textures, alpha, and a single normal map. The trunk has normals, the leaves don't. Not exactly a good look, but it was a test and not a final product. As always, the models were created from scratch, as were the textures:

Gotta say, pretty far advancement from doing simple buildings and lighting rigs. And it's been just under a year since I started. Here's to hoping that within the next year I'll at least get a playable tech demo out!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:13:24 PM by VulpesHilarianus »

TheodoreM

• Skills
      graphics designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 05:47:58 AM »
Working on learning how to make games in Blender. The basic NPC model is done (her name's Telly) but isn't rigged, and I still have to work on the environment that the player will walk around in and interact with. It's going well so far, but I've had a fair bit of issues. This isn't supposed to be anything big, just a "look around and listen to the funny things the stressed out elf woman says" kind of experiment game. Basically just a testing ground for building a playable area with things to do, like water physics and playing with light switches.

Things I still have to do:

◙ Rig Telly (duh)
◙ Animate Telly ('nother duh)
◙ Build the mansion interior and the estate grounds the player explores
◙ Create menus
◙ Add in music
◙Add Textures
◙ Create entirely new shaders for the characters (some environment shaders too)

Hows it going with Telly?

Links

TullochCo.com